The municipality of Härryda is situated along Route 40 between Göteborg and Borås. Stretching almost 15 kilometres from north to south and 30 kilometres from west to east, it has an area totalling 290 square kilometres. Forests cover about half the area and lakes about one twelfth.
The municipality of Härryda belongs to the province of Västergötland in the county of Västra Götaland.
Six population centresIn Härryda there are six population centres, each with its own characteristics.
- Mölnlycke, adjacent to Göteborg, is the administrative centre and the largest urban area.
- Landvetter is a suburban area close to Göteborg-Landvetter Airport.
- The small community of Härryda has given its name to the whole municipality.
- Hindås, once a well-known recreation centre, is now a popular residential area.
- Rävlanda and Hällingsjö are situated in the eastern part of the municipality in typical agricultural districts.
PopulationWhen the municipality was established in 1971 it comprised about 17 400 inhabitants. Since then there has been a steady increase and in the end of Mars 2011 the population exceeded 35 000.
Foreign citizens account for 4.1 per cent of the population, while 13 per cent are of foreign origin. A person of foreign origin has parents born outside Sweden. 4.2 per cent of those with foreign origin are from one of the Nordic countries, of which3 per cent originate from Finland.
The educational level of the populationMany of the inhabitants are well educated. About a third between 20 and 64 years have post upper secondary education, while the national average is slightly more than a quarter.
Income levelsThe average income is somewhat higher in the municipality compared to the nation. In 2009 this was 307 000 SEK.
Job opportunitiesEmployment in the municipality is mainly within commerce and communications, largely due to Göteborg-Landvetter Airport. Other high-ranking branches are manufacturing and care services.
UnemploymentIn December 2011 unemployment was 4.7 per cent.
CommutingMany inhabitants leave Härryda every day for work in another municipality. Two thirds, approximately 11 700, in the age-range 20-64 years, commute out. 8 000 do the reverse and commute in to the municipality to work.
HousingHärryda municipality comprised 12 800 households at the end of 2011, the majority, 74 per cent, living in detached or semi-detached houses. Building has increased dramatically over the last few years.
Industry and commerce in the municipality of HärrydaThe business sector comprises about 3 200 enterprises, many of which are privately owned limited companies or under self-employment.
Important employers in the municipality of Härryda:
- Göteborg-Landvetter Airport is the largest working place with about 3 500 employees in about 100 different enterprises.
- The municipality of Härryda employs about 2 700 on a permanent basis and 400 on a short or long term temporary basis.